Keep Calm and Shoot Straight
A Blog for Teachers
by Mary Jean Powers
A New Year to Learn to Teach
res·o·lu·tion /ˌrezəˈlo͞oSH(ə)n/: a firm decision to do or not to do something
The word “resolution” may be too strong for today’s thought. Before we resolve to do or not do, let’s pave the way by exploring some general questions about teaching, just for the sake of reevaluation. These questions may stimulate or reignite questions or goals, or perhaps even stir you to begin dreaming again. I hope so …
- What motivated you to begin teaching in the first place?
- How does your passion for teaching compare to when you first began?
- What do you enjoy most about teaching?
- Why did you prefer your favorite teacher? What was it about him/her?
- What’s the difference between a good teacher and a great teacher?
- Would any of your students make a great teacher?
- What can you purposefully do to inspire them?
- How would the teacher within you like to improve this year? Specifically?
Is there a class you can take, a book you can read, or someone from whom you can learn more about these things?
- What new skill or subject would you like to learn? Is now the time?
- Take a stroll through your memory and recount some of the funniest things that have happened in your classes. Document them!
About Keep Calm and Shoot Straight
I am a teacher. You, too? I hope you love the profession as much as I do! I was 16 when I got my first teaching gigs – I had 20 private piano students and a Sunday School class of 4 and 5-year olds! At that point in my “career,” my definition of teacher was very limited. But now – after 45+ years of experience – I have come to realize that teacher can mean many different things. I’d like to share some of those insights with you! My posts will range from quotes to prayers, from cartoons to words of wisdom. Much of my teaching experience has been international, so you'll get to watch some video stories from around the globe. Jesus is the best Teacher I know, so I will be including Him in this blog, as well. I hope my thoughts and my story will encourage, provoke, and inspire you to become the teacher you’ve been created to be!
For comments, email email@example.com
Recieve notifications of new blog posts
Mary Jean Powers
B.A. in Christian Education
M.A. in Biblical Studies
Music teacher (band and choir
International Bible teacher fo
Certified Walk Thru the Bible
Certified TESL International I
CEU Provider for ACSI (Associa
Certified Life Coach and Chapl
Who am I? A teacher coming alo